August 28, 2017
Cloud Smart Series: How to Drilldown into your Cloud Insights
Nowadays, it seems like there’s an app to analyze just about everything you do: how many steps you’ve taken, how much REM sleep you got last night, how influential you are on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Analytics are pervasive – monitoring, measuring, and influencing every aspect of our personal and business lives. And while analytics have certainly made our lives easier in a lot of ways, sometimes it’s just too many metrics and not enough insights.
At Cloud Cruiser, we continually strive to provide meaningful cloud analytics, with the right context and guidance, to quickly and easily make decisions. Our Insights feature automatically surfaces opportunities to reduce costs and optimize services based on thresholds and conditions that make sense to your business. And now, in additional to our interactive charts and graphics, we’ve added the ability to drill down into granular reports for enhanced troubleshooting. So (a) we’ll automatically alert you when something you care about goes into the ‘caution’ or ‘uh-oh’ zone, (b) we’ll show you with visually intuitive charts and graphs, and (c) we’ll take you right to the detail so you can immediately take action. Analytics done right. And while it won’t help you get more steps in, it should help you sleep better.
Let’s see it in action!
1. Click on INSIGHTS on the left navigation panel.
2. Select the Insight to which you’d like to add a drilldown report. In the example below, we’re using one of the standard Insights, Underutilized VM.
Within the Insights Configuration, you’ll find a Results Drilldown option that provides a menu of reports that have been shared with you. You can scroll down the menu to find a relevant report that will provide detailed information about this Insight.
In this example, we’re looking at VMs whose CPU utilization and network traffic are less than the predefined thresholds. The VM Details report is a good option here as it will provide detailed information, such as VM name, size, and utilization.
3. Select VM Details to bring up the detailed results for this Insight.
Cloud Cruiser returns a complete result set, in this case, grouped by Resource ID. And now that a drilldown report has been associated with this Insight, you’ll see a ‘+’ to the left of each of the Resource IDs.
4. View the list of resources and identify those that are in a red Alert state.
5. Click on the ‘+’ next to the first Resource ID to drill down into more detail. Remember that this report will be filtered not only for this specific Resource ID, but also for the period your Insight was based upon and also any other filters that are in effect for this user.
Once a drilldown report has been associated with an Insight, you can now get detailed information directly from the Insights widget on your MY VIEW dashboard. This makes it simple to troubleshoot cost overruns or unusual behavior with a few clicks from your main dashboard.
6. Select MY VIEW from the left navigation panel and click on Cost Savings opportunities identified.
You’ll be presented with all of the Insights with alerts for this particular Insight category. Notice that the Insight that we previously associated with a drilldown report, Underutilized VM, has triggered an alert and is highlighted in red.
7. Cloud Cruiser identifies the Resource IDs that caused the Insight to trigger, making it easy to go right to the source to find VMs that can be optimized for greater cost savings.
To learn more about Cloud Cruiser Insights, view this video.
- Cloud Adoption LIfecycle
- Cloud Analytics
- Cloud Financial Management
- Customer Success
- Finance Corner
- Hybrid IT Service Delivery
- Penny's Finance Corner
- Product Announcements
- Professor Andy
- Tips & Tricks from the Field